Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Learning to get around

Sol, my apartment mate, has been taking me shopping around town. Little by little I'm getting the things I need to set up my room and my part of the kitchen. The streets are beginning to look a little more familiar. It was quite a victory to be able to catch a taxi on my own to come home from school this afternoon. Tomorrow I hope to venture out again and buy a few more things.

It is great to have a laundry mat, a grocery store and bakery in front of the building complex. The taxi stand is right around the corner. It takes about a dollar to get to work. With the uneven sidewalks, I'm not going to try to walk to school for now.

I met with my two bosses today. My time will be divided between the elementary and high school offices. A big part of my job will be to act as an interpreter for the principals since neither is fluent in Spanish. A large number of the parents do not speak much English.

In a few minutes the repairman is supposed to fix the new bed frame that fell apart the first morning I sat on the edge. Two nights sleeping on the sofa is enough, :)

No comments:

Post a Comment