Sunday, August 15, 2010

Eating in Ecuador.

So far I haven't eaten any guinea pig or or wild animals, but the piece of beef I bought this week came from bovine who had lived a looooong and athletic life. Next on my list to buy is a pressure cooker. :) The food here is based a lot on corn and potatoes. I was served soup last week with popcorn instead of crackers. It wasn't bad, just different. The main meal is at noon. It starts with some kind of soup, followed by a main plate with meat, rice, and or potatoes, and a salad. Usually there is a fresh fruit drink with it and if you wish a small dessert. Breakfast and supper are much lighter, bread, cheese, fruit, and coffee. I made fresh corn pancakes Saturday which were real good.

Baking at 10,000 feet is all together a challenge for the hardy. The butter scotch brownies I made yesterday were the strangest looking, tooth wrenching, tasty catastrophe. Back to recipes.com/high altitude. I missed something.

Sol's parents took us all out to a delightful restaurant that features Ecuadorian cuisine. The food was delicious and the atmosphere fascinating. I loved the colorful decorations. It was called "The Hut" but was in a modern building in the heart of town.

1 comment:

  1. Hey mom,
    Thanks for the updates! It's also fun seeing you writing again :) You always were good with words! <3 TK

    ReplyDelete