Thursday, May 10, 2012

Vacation in Otavalo

Otavalo is a prosprous Kichwa town that is bustling with commerse and tradition, new ways and old.





My friend and fellow teacher Brenda Brennan and I spent a delightful Easter break soaking in the beauty of this lovely mountain town. Sixty-two years ago my family moved to Guatemala where the Cachiquel and the Sutujil in their colorful dress and charming ways fill the memories of my childhood. It feels like home among these folks. The women wear long dark skirts and brightly embroidered blouses. Their beautiful faces and breathtaking hair bring back warm recuerdos as we call it here. Everywhere I turned I heard  Christian radio, heard talk about church or saw someone doing a Bible study at their market stall. Curious, I asked our taxi driver, who was a converted drug addict, what percent of the town were believers. Much to my delight he said about fifty percent. It showed  on every street corner as people politely helped you find your way, where civic pride and a spirit of honesty permiated the place. I came home much refreshed.

1 comment: